I just have to vent. and also warn you ahead of time that this blog post might offend some of you. That is not the intention, I just want to have a real "conversation" and put my thoughts out there... I have been noticing lately that more and more people are obese. What is going on? I've always noticed the obesity problem but it seems lately when I'm out shopping and pay attention to those around me, that's really all I see. There is so much free information out there these days that I cannot believe we still choose not to do something to improve our health and well being. I have some over weight friends, some don't want to be over weight and "try" to change it. I have other friends that claim they are happy that way because they want to enjoy what they are eating and "live" life. I get it.... I too enjoy eating a bowl of ice cream but if I ate that way every meal, everyday, I'd be sick to my stomach. I enjoy what I eat. I love the way the food I eat tastes. I don't understand why we've become a society that thinks processed junk food is "good" food. How can we change this? There are shows like "the biggest loser", "extreme weight loss" and others that I think are very inspiring to watch. Then, you have websites like bodybuilding.com that offer tons (I mean tons) of free workouts, meal plans, advice, etc. There is so much information about the adverse health conditions that are caused by obesity, do we as a society want to live like this? I don't think we do. I think that we want to change but have become lazy and demotivated and live this way because it's "easier" than changing. Then we try to convince ourselves and others that we like being this way because it masks the fact that we are miserable. STOP being miserable. Make the decision today, right now and change your life. Okay, now that I've gotten that off of my chest, here are some small things you can do to start making changes:
1. Clean out your pantry and throw away all of the junk food.
2. Go to the grocery store and stock up on healthy foods. click here: Grocery shopping list
3. Start walking everyday, even if it's just for 15 minutes around the block, then work your way up.
4. Park far from the building rather than up front.
5. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
6. Find a workout plan you enjoy and do it everyday, I recommend starting out with an intro like the 7 day beginner and then work your way to something else like Jamie Eason's live fit trainer. There are tons of options on bb.com so look at them all and choose the one you will stick with.
7. Get the family involved. It's much more fun to live the "fit life" with others. BUT, if your family doesn't want to do it right away, you have to be willing to do it without them. Don't allow them to be the "excuse" as to why you can't do it.
YOU CAN DO IT, period... end of story. You just have to wake up everyday and decide today is the day you change your life. Say it everyday.